Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Stressful Times

Hmm.... I couldn't come up with anything too exciting for this post. I created a survey about the basic workout habits of Northeastern students, so I'll have those results soon. I think it will be interesting to see how often individuals workout and how the winter affects their normal fitness routines.

I mentioned in a post several weeks ago that I've been sick on and off this entire semester. Finally, the last week and a half I was beginning to feel back to myself. My roommate was very sick with a stomach virus last week. I spent as much time as I could out of the room, hoping I wouldn't get sick myself.

This doesn't change the fact we sleep in the say bedroom, so I knew there was a good chance I would catch the bug. And I did! I woke up this morning very sick. The worst part is that I had an interview for a co-op position at FOX News in NYC and had to miss it. I was able to re-schedule the interview thankfully, but being sick becomes exhausting. I think I speak for a majority of Northeastern students, when I say the co-op process combined with school is very stressful. At a typical four-year college, student aren't concerned with preparing for competitive internships, tough interviews, or living arrangements in another city. I believe the co-op program is an excellent opportunity, but I wouldn't consider the lifestyle of Northeastern students ordinary according to the stereotypical definition of college life.

I have no problem working hard for everything I do. I'm not trying to argue that college students should have the luxury of being lazy and barely slide by without attending class and partying constantly. I'm a very hard working individual and I like to be challenged. If everything was handed to you on a silver platter, you wouldn't learn important life lessons. Simultaneously, I think certain personalities are impacted by stress more than others. I am one of those people who worry alot and become stressed fairly easily. I am conscious of this problem and I constantly remind myself to do what I can do. I do wonder how this affects our health? How many college students are walking around like robots trying to complete daily tasks, fueled by stress and pressure? I know I fall somewhere in the middle on the continuim because there are people who are far more obsessed with achieveing perfection and what is expected of them than myself. When you think about it, anxiety never helps you complete something faster, it just makes you unhappy.

No comments: